Welcome to my art blog. I hope you'll enjoy the
journey through the wonderful world of art history, oil
painting and other art related topics just as much as
me. I write these articles to express my passion for
art and also because I'm a knowledge seeking
individual and I love to learn more.
April 13, 2011
10 Interesting Art Facts
Copyright 2011 Monika Murray Art. All rights reserved
As an oil painting artist I live through art. I like to talk about art, read about art
and learn about art. I compiled a list of 10 fun facts about art that I gathered
through reading some books and browsing internet. I hope you'll enjoy them.
1. During Renaissance and particularly in 1500s artistic painting was not
considered a suitable occupation for a gentleman. Since painting involved
working with hands, artists were considered craftsmen and were given the
same social standing as tailors or shoemakers.
2. Michelangelo Buonarroti's father Lodovico was horrified when he found out
that Michelangelo decided to become an artist. Michelangelo was often beaten
by his father and uncles when he first began to draw. Lodovico was proud of
his ancestry and he worried that an artist in the family will bring the family a
3. The Renaissance masterpiece "The Pieta" is the only work that
Michelangelo Buonarroti ever signed. He later regretted what he considered
an outburst of pride and vowed to never sign another work again. The Pieta is
housed at St. Peter Basilica in Vatican City.
4. Natural Ultramarine was as valuable as gold during Renaissance costing
per ounce more than half the annual rent of a good size studio in Florence. It
was considered one of the three purest colors beside gold and vermillion and
a reflection of God's glory. Because of its high cost it was reserved by artists for
the most revered subjects such as robes of Madonna and Christ.
5. Linseed oil, the most popular of all oils for painting, comes from the flax
seed a common fiber crop. The linen, a popular oil painting support, is made
from the flax plant.
6. Pablo Picasso was baptized Pablo Diego José Fransisco de Paula Juan
Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Martyr
Patricio Clito Ruiz y Picasso. The name contains 23 words and honors
various saints and relatives.
7. Pablo Picasso was considered a suspect in the theft of Mona Lisa in 1911.
He was arrested and questioned after his friend Guillaume Apollinaire pointed
a finger at Picasso. Both were later cleared and released.
8. Vincent Van Gogh produced more than 2000 works during his life time:
approx 900 paintings and 1100 drawings and sketches. Although he is now
considered one of the greatest artists of all times he was undervalued and only
sold one painting during his life time.
9. Leonardo Da Vinci was left handed and his personal notes were written in
mirror writing starting from the right side of the page to the left.
10. Leonardo Da Vinci started painting Mona Lisa in 1504 or 1505 and finished
only shortly before he died in 1519. Some reports say that it took him 10 years
to perfect Mona Lisa's lips. He was a procrastinator and often regretted not
finishing many of his works.